Monday, July 27, 2009

Minoxidil causes grey hair?

I'm in my early 40s, and although I had small bald spot, my hair has been its completely original dark color, with the rarest of rare grey hairs.



I started Minoxidil orally (I think 2.5 mgs) about 2 mos ago for my blood pressure, and have suddenly found a significant amount of grey hairs - readily visible.



I'm okay with grey, but I was caught off guard by how many appeared in such a short period of time. I need the minoxidil for my BP, so there's no stopping that (other meds didn't cut it) but is this a common side effect? I didn't find a lot in the literature, although I did find some anecdotal reports...



Minoxidil causes grey hair?

What side effects may I notice from taking minoxidil?



Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:



閳ヮ晧hest pain, fast or irregular heartbeat, palpitations



閳ヮ晩ifficulty breathing



閳ヮ晩izziness or fainting spells



閳ヮ晿edness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth



閳ヮ暀kin rash or itching



閳ヮ暀tiff or swollen joints



閳ヮ暀udden weight gain



閳ヮ暀welling of the feet or legs



閳ヮ暃nusual weakness



Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):



閳ヮ晭eadache



閳ヮ暃nusual hair growth, on the face, arm, and back



Minoxidil causes grey hair?

At your age you are most likely just naturally getting more grey hair. I know that the medication helps grow new hair, but not change the color as far I have ever heard. But lets face it, medications can have some different/unusual after effects on different people.

4 comments:

  1. i am certain it is causing my hair to gray. i have used it for a year and now i have 3 gray hairs pop up in the last month...my parents didn't gray until they were almost 40...i am 29. i think i might stop using this???!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few months back Doctor prescribed me Morr3% for hair growth which contains minoxidil, after using i saw hair growth had been started & stopped hair falling, but surprisingly the places where i used to put the drops of medicine, that place's hair started grey.
    i stopped using the Morr3% & again hair fall started very badly. The most funny thing is no grey hair is falling all black hair is falling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, after using minoxidil for 4 months, my hair turn into grey in some area. I think minoxidil causing greay hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I have been using minoxidil for 3 months now and noticing grey hair pop up.
    Can I ask if your grey hairs reduced once you stopped minoxidil?

    ReplyDelete